Orthodontic Solutions For All Ages
Frequently Asked Questions About Braces
Braces are historically the most commonly used method of correcting tooth malalignment and other orthodontic problems.
In order to align the teeth, braces consist of two components:
- Brackets are installed onto the teeth by the orthodontist
- Wires are inserted into the brackets by the orthodontist to connect all of the teeth
At every visit, the orthodontist adjusts the wires to align the teeth, correct the bite, and shape the smile.
Metal or traditional braces are the most common type of braces world-wide and have been around for over 100 years now.
Metal braces are most popular among children and adolescent patients. They work by applying the braces to the teeth and connecting them with a wire. The wire is tied to the braces using elastic ties, which come in an array colors to choose from.
While there is no exact age for children to start orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child visits the orthodontist by age 7.
Most of time, children begin orthodontic treatment during their growth spurt in early adolescence (ages 12-15). However, some kids may need to get a head start on their orthodontic treatment. The main purpose of children getting braces before their adolescent growth spurt is to guide their skeletal and dental development in a more favorable way. Some conditions are more reliably corrected at this young age.
The early teenage years are the best time to get braces due to several developmental changes that favor orthodontic treatment. These include:
- The adolescent growth spurt
- Transition to the adult dentition
- Growth of the skeletal jaws (maxilla and mandible)
For these reasons, orthodontic treatment is faster and most efficient between the ages of 12-15.
Suresmile is a state-of-the-art technology that allows our orthodontists to plan every step of your treatment from the very first appointment. We call it pro-active treatment planning. Not only does it make your orthodontic treatment more predictable, but it also decreases your total number of visits.
SureSmile is a digital platform which offers our orthodontists a way of planning and executing your orthodontic treatment from the very first visit. It works through a series of simple steps:
This first appointment is the most important.
We listen to your concerns, discuss treatment options, and answer your questions.
If you have any follow up questions after your consultation, you can call, text, or email us and we’re happy to answer them.
- Photos – We often take photos and x-rays at this initial appointment. This helps us evaluate treatment options and track your progress.
- X-Rays – If you’ve had X-rays taken in the past 6 months from your dentist, be sure to bring them with you. It could prevent us from having to take new ones!
- 3D Scan – If you feel ready to begin orthodontic treatment, we may also take a 3D scan of your teeth to begin planning for your treatment. This cutting-edge technology allows for a comfortable and faster experience compared to old-fashioned molds, something we are very proud to offer.